Wound Care Specialists


What is a wound care specialist?

A wound care specialist is a healthcare provider who focuses on evaluating and treating non-healing wounds. You may see a wound care specialist in addition to your primary care physician or home healthcare provider until your wound is healed. Wound care specialists are covered by most insurance plans and often do not require a referral.

Why should I see a wound care specialist?

These specialists can help patients determine the best treatment for their DFU. When conventional treatments such as dressings and ointments are not enough to heal a wound, they have access to the most up-to-date wound care technology and the training to use it.

Talk to your doctor to learn if you should see a wound care specialist. Click here to download a printable version (PDF) of questions to ask your doctor if you have a diabetic foot ulcer.